Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Rachel's 3rd Birthday


Today is big girl's 3rd birthday and I am completely filled with emotion about it. Gratitude for how blessed I've been to be her Mama, pride for who she has become, excitement for all that lies ahead, and even a little sadness at it having gone so quickly. Even after three years, it's still so hard for me to wrap my mind and memory around how it all happened.

I looked at Rach today. I mean really looked at her. Sometimes in the rush of the day when everything's a mess and we're running late and the table still has breakfast all over it I forget to look at her and see her for who she really is. She is growing into a little lady. She is beautiful and deeply kind. She loves her home and our family and her "yitta boy" Alden more than anything. Oh how good it is to be a mother. Especially her mother.

(with most of her birthday loot, since two of the things we ordered for her got here during Joy School today)

(eating her birthday dinner, sans one hair bow--"hot dogs cooked over a fire on a stick, with root beer please"--Rachie request)

A birthday letter for my girl.

My dear Rachie Nicole,

I am so proud of you always, but want you to know it especially on your big day. Later on in your life you probably won't remember anything about your life up until this, your third year. But I will. And I hope when you read my letters to you, you can see what I see in you, even when you doubt yourself.

You are good. You are so kind. You are truly funny. You have the gift of empathy and compassion for others. In your completely genuine eyes, you see all people as simply people, no matter their faults or mistakes or differences. You are a friend to all you meet, and when you say, "It's nice to meet you!", I really think you mean it. You are honest and quick to give compliments to others. You are incredibly polite and are always saying please and thank you.

You were brought home to a little tiny garage apartment with nothing but a tupperware bin of clothes and a portable crib, and yet you filled that home with love beyond anything I ever imagined and helped me grow into myself. I've learned more, loved more, and lived more since you were born, and I'm so grateful to be your mother. You are a blessing to your Daddy, me, your "yitta boy" Alden, your grandmas and grandpas, your many aunts and uncles, your little cousin, and all your many friends.

I love you so much my girl.

Your Mama

2 comments:

  1. Such a sweet post, Melissa. I loved reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's three!?! I can hardly believe it. You are such a good Mom Melis! I hope all is well for you:)

    ReplyDelete