Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Bedtime Craziness and Thoughts on the Young Man

Alden has now officially learned how to get in and out of his port-a-crib (his only sleep option at the moment). The way he does it is just hilarious to me. He backs up a little ways to get a running start and then takes off into a jump-cling move akin to Spider-man on the side of the crib, with his hands gripping the top edge and his little toes digging into the mesh side wall. In one more fluid motion he is head first into the crib and flips over with a giggle. Getting out used to be a little harder (no running start) but he's now mastered hoisting one of his little legs up over the edge and throwing the rest of his body out while hanging on with his hands. Because he now has more control over being in bed, he doesn't really want to be there much. Last night Jase had to drag him back to bed every minute or two for about an hour and a half, and finally just sat in there and stared at the wall until the kids fell asleep (I was at my last mutual night at the time...poor Jase looked like he might tear his hair out when I got home). This also means the kids haven't been going to sleep until about 9 for the last few nights, leading to 5 am wake-ups and grumpy babies. Today for his nap Alden kept getting out again so Jase went in there and did the same thing as the night before-sat there and ignored him, except to "shush" him if he said anything. It only took him ten minutes to fall asleep; I guess he knew with Dad in there he wasn't going to get out. Hopefully after we move, Alden will be stuck in his real crib, but if he can climb out...a crib tent? Sheesh! Not a once did Rachel ever do this so much, even when we transitioned her to a toddler bed when she turned 2. Every kid is a new experience I guess.

I am learning just how incredibly mischievous my little guy is. He used to be so shy and observant, afraid of being involved in too much, and now that he's nearly two he is all about pushing buttons and diving into his bed head first. Luckily, he is still really, really sweet and all about melting his girls' hearts. It only takes flashing that devilish grin and chattering on about everything he loves about us. I sure love him back, and maybe all his crazy antics lately are just one more reason to add to my growing list of reasons why Alden is a hard but worth-it kid. I sometimes have no idea how to teach/discipline him. He giggles through almost every time out (he gets a one minute time-out with his face in the corner and his hands held to his sides for aggressive/mean behavior). He cannot be made to feel bad about, well, anything (I'm throwing food? Sure, take it away Mom, I didn't want it anyways!). Today while trying to put him down for his nap, and just before putting him back in bed for the fifteenth time I spanked him--a less than proud moment for me. I had already taken away his favorite blanket and sock monkey, and he had sauntered out to hand me his stuffed Tigger as well, because well, why not give me that too? Now, I've never been one to spank my kids. After I did it He. Seriously. Raised. His. Eyebrows. and gave me a look that said, "Really? That's all you've got left?" It was totally aggravating how pointless that swat was (also meaning I realize how ineffective and better-left-unused it was). I'm sure he's just testing us right now to see what we'll follow through on and what he can get away with. Even still, I really love his personality. He is happy-go-lucky and silly but also very kind and thoughtful. He is the first to help clean up anything, he gives the best squeezes and wet kisses, and he's always asking me, "How doin' Mama?" In answer to that, I'm doing good my Alden-boy. I guess you can be a little ornery because you are nearly two. But I'm just happy you're mine.

2 comments:

  1. Sleep time sounds so aggravating! I can totally picture Alden doing that: it's a wonderful description of him-- his mischievous smile and incredible cuteness. He's going to be a charmer, that one! Good luck! I love your attitude about it, by the way. He's sure lucky you're his mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For as crazy and climb-y as my boys are, neither one figured out how to escape from a crib/ pack-n-play. I think Alden must have a hidden genius to go along with his grin. A mischeivious genius is the most dangerous kind. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete